Monday, April 23, 2007

When David Broder Speaks, We All Roll Our Eyes

I log on to the computer, check my email, my hometown newspaper, then start at the bottom of my blogroll and work my way to the top. I was happy, feeling good and feeling fine, and then I read this at Think Progress.org which highlights the following comments from Dean Broder when asked if the war in Iraq can be won:
Uh, Republicans, some of them believe that, and Democrats, by and large, wish that Harry Reid would learn to engage mind before mouth opens. This has become kind of a pattern for him, and, uh, I think at some point down the road the Democrats are gonna have to have a little caucus and decide how much further they want to carry Harry Reid. They’ve got able people on the Senate side, and they don’t have to put up with this kind of bumbling performance forever.

As a commenter noted, Broder pulled a bait and switch. He doesn't answer the question at all, but just notes that "some" Republicans believe it, then goes off on Harry Reid. Since some Republicans believe the war can be won, in David Broder's world, Harry Reid should just shut up, even though he is giving voice to the views of a vast majority of the American people, and recognizing the facts on the ground, as unpleasant as they are.

Apparently, none of this matters to Broder. In his little courtesan's mind, all that matters is upholding the facade of civility that keeps all political debate within boundaries that are determined by . . . people like Broder. Irrelevancy, thy name is a Washington pundit.

UPDATE: I hate it when I forget something. Again, as is so often the case, Duncan Black at Atrios.blogspot.com, sums it up succinctly:
Some days I really just can't stand watching the teevee. They still talk about this stuff as if Democrats are on the defensive and the steely-eyed rocketman is going to wow the public with his plainspoken ways.

People hate Bush and hate this war. It's that simple, and it's been true for quite some time.(emphasis added)

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More