Monday, April 23, 2007

Music Monday

I don't like the labels critics and others put on music. Consider the whole "progressive rock" label. I used to subscribe to it, but the more one listens to a variety of bands labeled "progressive", the commonalities become more and more tenuous. What, after all, do Genesis and King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Egg have in common?

One of my favorite "prog" bands is VanDerGraf Generator. I am not alone. My friend, Cristina from Portugal, is quickly snapping up as much of their music as she can find. As a proud owner of three of their CDs - H to He who Am the Only One, Pawn Hearts, and Still Life - let me offer the following videos for our mutual enjoyment (the quality varies, obviously). First, from a more recent performance (and doesn't poor Pete Hamill look like a corpse, or is that just me?) is "Killer" from H to HE:

Next is a clip from Belgian TV back in 1971 or so, the first nine minutes of their 23-minute-long "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" from Pawn Hearts:

Finally, from Godbluff, a live version of "Undercover Man":

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More