Friday, November 10, 2006

'Tis the Season to Become Unhinged

Over here we have an example of how nutty some right-wingers are. Pure and simple. I wish I could be more generous, I wish I could be more thoughtful, I wish I could give them the benefit of the doubt. I cannot. Calling the ACLU far-left, then citing them for defending the Klan and Nazis is simply incoherent.

All this started because I refuse to countenance another December of the phony "War on Christmas". The US retail sector relies upon the four-and-a-half week Christmas shopping season for close to half its income; why on earth would any American, except for the fringes, wish for Christmas to end, as that would mean the collapse of our economy, pure and simple? As a side note, I for one will not be engaging in an orgy of consumption this year. My wife and I have discussed it and will buy nothing for one another, and only minimal gifts for our children. Few lights, few decorations, except for those that emphasize the birth of the Christ child. No Santas. No reindeer. Hymns celebrating the birth of the savior and prayerful contemplation of what that means for us - that is how we shall celebrate Christmas this year.

As a Christian, I cannot emphasize strongly enough that, if there were some sort of "War on Christmas", it would be part and parcel of the rejection and persecution Christians are told to expect (doesn't the orgiastic commercialization of the holiday kind of constitute such a war anyway?). I would not want the government to "do something" about it, nor would I whine about it. I would simply continue to celebrate the birth of the Messiah, and get on with my life. That is what Christians are supposed to do. Hollering and stamping feet and ranting about "far-left groups" only makes one look silly. There are far more important things in this world about which to be worried - like the ever-rising death-toll in Iraq.

UPDATE: As the intent of your post was most clearly to show that the ACLU was preparing, if not already beginning, to wage "War on Christmas", the fact that such is not explicitly mentioned is irrelevant. Apparently, you wish us to ignore the connotation of your post, sticking only to the denotation. Alas and alack, had you merely been making a list of ACLU "offenses", you would not have referenced Christmas so much, both in your introduction, and in the examples you list.

Do you honestly think I, or any of us, are that dumb?

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More