Saturday, November 10, 2007

Saturday Rock Show

When I was in college, I dated a young woman who was in to all the great 80's alternative bands - most of whom were British. She liked The Cure, and New Order (I don't know anyone who didn't like New Order, to be honest). She also liked The Smiths.

My relationship with The Smiths is a bit like my relationship with Bruce Springsteen. I recognize the genius. I even groove to some of the songs. Yet, I just don't feel like saying, "I really like this stuff!". It is one thing to say, "This is truly great music." It is another thing to invest oneself and say, "I like this!" Yet, The Smiths have grown on me over the years, and are far better than most of the offerings out there these days. So, in a fit of nostalgia (for the music, not my ex-girlfriend), here are The Smiths doing "Stop Me (If You've Heard This One Before)". By the way, they never were the cheeriest band; the closest thing they had to a hit in the US was a song called "Girlfriend in a Coma" after all . . .

By the way, don't you think Morrissey is kind of the anti-Brian Ferry?

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More