Saturday, September 01, 2007

Wasted Energy

In The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Malcolm talks about a numbers runner he knew who had a memory so powerful, he had no need to write the numbers down. He also had a great head for figures. Malcolm recalled this man and asked the non-rhetorical question, "What if this man's gifts had been used for good?"

I had reason to recall this story when I cruised over the the 4simpson's blog this AM (no, I won't link; yes, it's like a sickness with me) and read, in Neil's weekly roundup, as he goes off on some creationist jag against "Darwinism". I had reason to remember this story when I read an earlier piece in which Neil discusses what he calls "sound doctrine". The feats of intellectual gymnastics present in these pieces are impressive, even if they are meaningless. While I know it is necessary to fight the creationist scourge wherever and whenever it raises its ignorant head, but I must confess I am weary of the fight. There is no reasoning, no basis for discussion because, in the end, those who refuse to acknowledge the reality of the wonderful diversity and complexity of life in all its variegation exist in a different world from the rest of us.

Along with a refusal to acknowledge the reality of the wonder of nature, in Neil's case, he actually believes God cares for something called "sound doctrine"; in Neil's case, there is such a thing at all. I weary of discussions that (a)mean little, and (b)accomplish less. I would much prefer that someone of Neil's obvious mental capacity and energy were to put it to use trying to figure out how to work together and live together, rather than telling everyone how right he is.

For the record, I do not indulge in the sin of which I accuse Neil. I make no pretentions to haveing figured out the way the world really is. My words in this blog are not proscriptive, but rather descriptive. I have no desire for others to think the way I do, to see the world as I do, or to accept the way I live, think, or believe. When I encounter those who insist that some part of this living, thinking, or believing is inherently wrong, I protest. Not so much out of the belief in the transcendent truth of my own beliefs, but out of the belief that my own beliefs are my own, and I would much rather discuss points of commonality than get in to endless discussions over who is right and who is wrong.

Neil has no such sense of the limit of his own life and thought. He honestly believes that God has bestowed upon him wisdom, sagacity, and insight to insist that others are to live and think and believe as he does. Too bad. It's such a waste of such a wonderful gift.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More