Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Horrors of Religious Belief

I have been dealing recently with those who question the rationality of religious faith, and insist that it serves no useful personal or social purpose whatsoever, and is best discarded. I was considering the view this morning as I listened to my wife's sermon, in which she spoke of forgiveness. One example she used - and there are many from recent events one could use, but I like this one - was the treatment of the perpetrator of violence against their community by some Amish folks. A deranged individual killed several Amish girls; the community gathered together in a display of solidarity and showed this person the real meaning of forgiveness.

Isn't that awful? What a display of intolerance, violence, and terrorism! What a shocking example of irrational behavior! What a horrid example for the rest of the world to follow!

Or, perhaps, not.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More