Monday, August 27, 2007

Music Monday

Few cities have ever been represented musically as well as New Orleans. Few cities have as their greatest cultural legacy the gift of American music as rich and profound as New Orleans. Professor Longhair, Dr. John, Louis Armstrong, Harry Connick, Jr. - all of them bring us New Orleans with each and every turn of phrase, each and every chorus, each and every arrangement. Yet the best representatives of New Orleans are The Neville Brothers. I first heard The Meters (Cyril Neville's outfit that transformed into the Brothers in the late 1970's) as a child growing up; my one trip to New Orleans more than made clear to me why I loved their music, and continue to do so. This Music Monday is a treat for me (all of them are, but this one allows me to pay a debt of thanks to a group of musicians who represent a city in dire need; we need to save New Orleans so the Neville Brothers can continue to have a place to come from, as well as return to).

Here are The Meters, from 1993:

Here are The Meters and The Neville Brothers together on David Letterman.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More