Thursday, November 06, 2008

On Prop 8

Maybe I should apologize for my silence on California's Proposition 8, but as someone who lived through Oliver North's run for the US Senate in VA back in 1994, I am wary of outsiders messing around in state business. North received zero support and funding from inside VA - it all came from the national Republican Party and outside sources. As I couldn't effect the outcome, why comment?

Yet, I feel a bit guilty, because I could have lent my voice, even my own tiny voice, to fight that horrible bit of legalized discrimination. I am sorry for not doing so, even though I think my reasons for not doing so were sound.

While many on the right consider this a "victory", I think they are sore losers. Consider the following. Neil cuts and pastes an article quoting commenters who write the following in the wake of the passage of Prop 8:
“Burn their f—ing churches to the ground, and then tax the charred timbers,”

“I hope the No on 8 people have a long list and long knives.”

“While financially I supported the Vote No, and was vocal to everyone and anyone who would listen, I have never considered being a violent radical extremist for our equal rights. But now I think maybe I should consider becoming one. Perhaps that is the only thing that will affect the change we so desperately need and deserve.”

While the talk of violence is disturbing, I would only add that people like Neil insist that legalizing same-sex marriage would spell the death of Western Civilization as we know it; that gay people are inherently evil and beyond the grace of God; and that we liberals should accept their hatred and fear of gays and lesbians. This last one is why I do not consider myself a "tolerant" person. I have no time for bigots.

I think being told, over and over again, that the way one loves and lives one's private life is a threat to society would be enough to spark a bit of anger. Having a state enshrine in its constitution the principle that not all people are created equal under the laws might just cause some to react with hostility. In other words, no, I don't approve of people talking about burning down churches. I do, however, understand why these folks are so angry. Perhaps, were he more self-aware, Neil might understand it, also. His bigotry, his hatred and fear of gay people - as unreasonable and illogical as it is - and his constant drumbeat about the threats of same-sex marriage to the glue that holds our society together might just be one reason, one tiny reason, that GLBT folks are mad as hell right now.

Anyway, we have a lot of work to do to end this kind of thing once and for all, making Prop 8, and other such pieces of legalized discrimination a thing of the past. I do not believe I will, or should, remains silent any more.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More