Monday, July 28, 2008

Music Monday

I got such a great response last week, I find it hard to limit my choices to just three. Someone said "anything by Johnny Cash", and this is a great song to listen to as one winds his or her way down country roads in the south (I did it myself):

The next is my own choice. I honestly had a hard time picking which Allman Brother's song I'd use. "Statesboro Blues"? "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"? Shoot, the 20-minute version of "Whipping Post" is great for those long hauls. I settled on "Midnight Rider" because it has a certain atmosphere about it. Doesn't everyone imagine, for a moment or two, that they're the outlaw type, wanting nothing more than to just hit the road, live a life outside any restriction or boundary? It was hard to find a good version, but I like this, despite the bad sound quality, because it's all stripped down, and Greg's vocal performance matches the song so well (as it should, as he wrote it):

Finally, no road trip would be complete without an honest-to-Elvis classic. Here's Chuck Berry with "No Particular Place to Go":

Two things. He reused this same melody for a song called "School Days". Second, if you didn't see your choices here, have no fear. Next week, we shall do more of your requests for top-down, summer driving songs. Since people are driving less because gas is so damn expensive, we can at least enjoy the music we would listen to if we were driving.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More