Tuesday, February 26, 2008

For Democracy Lover

I read Tbogg every single day. In fact, his is the third site I visit, after Sadly,No! and Think Progress. I need a smile when I first get up, and I usually end up laughing out loud when I read him. I rarely quote him, though, but today, I link and quote for the simple reason that he manages to say exactly what needs to be said in re lefty disdain for our compromised political process. Let me say, first, that I think the charges of compromise are accurate; yet, I have yet to have a substantive answer to my questions concerning the questions of power, with what the current system might be replaced in the real world, and so on. In any event, Tbogg constructs a wonderful answer to a "harrumphing" commenter who tries to call out Democrats for being wussies in the face of power, and why the left should extend the Magical Bird salute to them this fall in the form of a vote for Ralph "Vanity Fair" Nader:
Let me see if I can explain it this way:

Every year in Happy Gumdrop Fairy-Tale Land all of the sprites and elves and woodland creatures gather together to pick the Rainbow Sunshine Queen. Everyone is there: the Lollipop Guild, the Star-Twinkle Toddlers, the Sparkly Unicorns, the Cookie Baking Apple-cheeked Grandmothers, the Fluffy Bunny Bund, the Rumbly-Tumbly Pupperoos, the Snowflake Princesses, the Baby Duckies All-In-A-Row, the Laughing Babies, and the Dykes on Bikes. They have a big picnic with cupcakes and gumdrops and pudding pops, stopping only to cast their votes by throwing Magic Wishing Rocks into the Well of Laughter, Comity, and Good Intentions. Afterward they spend the rest of the night dancing and singing and waving glow sticks until dawn when they tumble sleepy-eyed into beds made of the purest and whitest goose down where they dream of angels and clouds of spun sugar.

You don't live there.

Grow the fuck up.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More