Sunday, September 09, 2007

Concert Review and Final Thoughts

Just between us
I think it's time for us to recognize
Differences we sometimes fear to show.
Just between us
I think it's time for us to realize
Space in between
Leave room
For you and I to grow.
"Entre Nous", lyrics by Neal Peart


If it was just me, I would mark it down to simple enthusiasm. General opinion, however, from all I heard as I made my way out of the show last night was that the show was one of the best ever. For me, not just as a Rush concert, but any concert by any band. They were both loose and tight, free-wheeling and sternly disciplined. In other words, they had it all, plus three and a half hours of blistering music.

Some treats - the second song of the night was "Entre Nous"! I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least. They also played over half the new album, went as far back as 2112 for "Train to Bangkok", and played "Witch Hunt" as well (I smiled so broad I thought my face would split).

This is the first concert I have ever been to that was like a family outing. There were parents with their kids, even grandparents with grandkids there. A bit unsettling, I suppose, for a rock show, but for all those youngsters, a real treat.

I suppose that I must confess that, in my current state of mind (not just the past few weeks, but recent months), the ideology presented by the band resonates more and more with me. I have wondered about that, especially as they have a reputation for being much more of a greasy-haired-teenager band, as I remember from my youth. There is a maturity to so many of their songs, however, a depth that provides deeper meanings as life goes on. For teenagers, the stance of rebellious outsider, and being affirmed in that stance, is probably welcome. The band presents an affirmation of non-conformity that most teenagers appreciate. For us older folks, however, there is the on-going questioning of the struggle - how much compromise betrays what we always thought was right? The band presents not so much answers as an affirmation that the struggle continues all through life. Thus, "Subdivisions" can appeal to an outsider at a suburban high school quite nicely; it can also give that kid's parents the courage to understand their child's struggle, and resources to assist, if they so choose.

Am I overplaying their hand? Not at all. At its best, art gives us resources not just for contemplation, but for action. We can not just sit and reflect, but choose to act as we find ourselves strengthened and renewed.

So, after 28 years I have come to the conclusion that, for right now, this band, as it exists right now, speaks to me more than any other. That, and they rocked our socks off last night!

As for "Witch Hunt", watch (and read the lyrics below the video) and tell me whether or not it is pertinent.

The night is black,
Without a moon.
The air is thick and still.

The vigilantes gather on
The lonely torchlit hill.

Features distorted in the flickering light,
The faces are twisted and grotesque.
Silent and stern in the sweltering night,
The mob moves like demons possesed.
Quiet in conscience, calm in their right,
Confident their ways are best.

The righteous rise
With burning eyes
Of hatred and ill-will.

Madmen fed on fear and lies
To beat and burn and kill.

They say there are strangers who threaten us,
In our immigrants and infidels.
They say there is strangeness, too dangerous
In our theatres and bookstore shelves,
That those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves.

Quick to judge,
Quick to anger,
Slow to understand

Ignorance and prejudice
And fear
Walk hand in hand.
Lyrics by Neal Peart

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More