Monday, March 29, 2010

Music For Your Monday

The late Dusty Springfield was that rare gem. A truly great singer, like many British performers, she was attracted to American R&B because it spoke to something of her own experience in life (which shows the power of class in Britain). Unlike some who tried to imitate the sound - Pete Townsend's "maximum R&B" period - Springfield had the opportunity to apply her gifts to the real thing, inspiring future British blue-eyed soul singers from Alison Moyet right up to those who continue the tradition today. My oldest sisters had a copy of "Son of a Preacher Man" and I played it a lot as a kid on my little box record player . . .

And here it is.



This next song was, I think, a bigger hit for her. "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me"



She also did a whole lot of straight-up pop tunes, yet one can hear that Motown/Muscle Shoals/Stax-Volt lilt in her voice. "All I See Is You".

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More