Saturday, February 20, 2010

They Hurt My Feelings

OK, not really.

As usual, my position is not offered correctly. The "facts" of the matter regarding the attempted kidnapping of some Haitian children by some Baptist "missionaries" became darker and darker; if I had to guess - which, with the few verified and verifiable facts available is all I can do - I would say that these well-meaning but misguided individuals were being used by persons with nefarious purposes. A bad plot to a bad book (soon to be a movie in a theater near you, directed by Michael Bay!), to be sure, but no less a possibility for all that.

Craig's "facts" such as they are, ignore my central contention that taking children from one country - regardless of the underlying desire of those who are doing it - is a crime. Had these people managed to fill out the paperwork, and to make arrangements with the Dominican authorities to cross the border, and made proper contacts with American consular officials in Dominica, we might never be aware that there was something less than noble occurring. I, for one, am grateful that these folks were stupid enough to think they could get away with this; I applaud the Haitian legal system for retrieving some of their own from the clutches of missionaries who believe they have the right and duty to steal people from one country and take them to another.

The whole episode stinks.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More