Saturday, August 23, 2008

Obama/Biden '08

NB: I bumped this so I could add the transcripts of VP nominee Joe Biden from his speech this afternoon in Springfield.

So it's Joe Biden.

I guess I was hoping that Obama would do something to excite and stir things up. Biden is a safe choice. He's got negatives, too (I'm old enough to remember the plagiarism charge from 1987) but overall he's as Establishment Democrat as you could want.

OK, so Obama/Biden '08.

I predicted McCain would pick Rudy!, but after second and third thoughts I'm not so sure. I suppose I'm wimping out after getting pwned by the Biden choice, but I'll keep my second thoughts to myself.

Any guesses?

UPDATE: I am now more surprised and pleased, after hearing a portion of Sen. Biden's speech. Here's a portion, and here's the whole thing.
And ladies and gentlemen, is there no ordinary times, and this is no ordinary election. Because the truth of the matter is, and you know it, that American dream under eight years of Bush and McCain, that American dream is slipping away. I don't have to tell you that.

--snip--

Ladies and gentlemen, this is no ordinary time. This is no ordinary election. And this may be our last chance to reclaim the America we love, to restore America’s soul. Ladies and gentlemen, America gave Jill and me our chance. It gave Barack and Michelle their chance to stand on this stage today. It’s literally incredible. These values, this country gave us that chance. And now it's time for all of us, as Lincoln said, to put our feet in the right place and to stand firm. Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to elect Barack Obama president. It’s our time. It’s America’s time.

And some funny just to show he can dish it out . . .
Ladies and gentlemen, your kitchen table is like mine. You sit there at night before you put the kids -- after you put the kids to bed and you talk, you talk about what you need. You talk about how much you are worried about being able to pay the bills. Well, ladies and gentlemen, that's not a worry John McCain has to worry about. It’s a pretty hard experience. He’ll have to figure out which of the seven kitchen tables to sit at.

And the punch line. . .
[O]f all my years in the Senate, I have never in my life seen Washington so broken. I have never seen so many dreams denied and so many decisions deferred by politicians who are trying like the devil to escape their responsibility and accountability. But, ladies and gentlemen, the reckoning is now. And the reality, the reality is that we must answer the call or we will risk the harshest version and verdict of history. These times call for a total change in Washington’s worldview. These times require more than a good soldier. They require a wise leader. A leader -- a leader who can deliver. A leader who can deliver the change we need.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More