Sunday, October 14, 2007

Ridiculous. Absurd. Our Current Foreign Policy

Some might have noticed that I have added commentators Roger Ailes (not the FOXNEws executive) and The Atlantic's blogger Matt Yglesias to the blogroll line-up. Ailes I have discovered is both funny and incisive. Yglesias was a bit more troubling for me. Originally he supported the war. He's pretty moderate on most issues. Yet people whose views I both respect and agree with site him on a pretty regular basis. After reading quite a bit of what he has written, I have decided to break down and offer him here for your (and my) reading pleasure.

What tipped my preference for him? Digby highlights Yglesias' commentary on a Romney TV add on foreign policy:
The idea that we should be laying awake at night afraid that a group of at most several thousand people who control almost no territory or valuable military equipment might establish a universal caliphate or "collapse freedom loving nations like us" is ridiculous. Al-Qaeda's goals are absurd, and obviously so, and one ought to say so confidently. The fact that a relatively small group of people with lunatic goals can nevertheless knock down giant office buildings and murder a huge number of people is, indeed, something to be afraid of but not nearly on the grand geopolitical level Romney is postulating here.

I love the ability some people have of speaking the truth, and doing it both clearly, and with as few words as possible.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More