Wednesday, September 05, 2007

We Interrupt This Break For A Quick Bulletin

My computer is in ths shop, and am borrowing my wife's. It's the same brand, but her set-up and browser are different, and it feels, well, different. I'll be glad to either get mine back or get a new one ASAP, as she needs hers in her office much more than I need it here at the house. I have felt cut-off from the rest of the word a bit too much recently, however, so I decided to check things out (especially as Larry Craig has decided to remain a thorn in the Republicans' foot for a while). It seems the conversation has been going on without me, which is wonderful, but I still feel it necessary to jump in with just a few things here.

First, I am enjoying re-reading, for the first time in years, Roy Jenkins' biography of William Gladstone. After seeing Democracy Lover use the word "eleemosynary" recently, I was moved to put aside Volf and dabble in the less troubling waters of 19th century British political history via Gladstone. Jenkins' writing style is witty, but more than occassionally dense and flowing rather than terse and to the point. He is a bad influence on me, in other words . . .

Much of my funk over the weekend was, I realized, that I was not only exhausted, but also had come down with a bit of a bug. Over the past several days I have felt much better, with much more energy, than on Friday, Saturday, or even Sunday.

Finally, before we turn to a more specific post, can anyone please tell me why, here in northern Illinois, it feels like July? Please, no global warming jokes or jibes; I am just honestly tired of this weather, that's all. Of course, after three weeks of rain, and flooding, you might think I would be grateful for some sun, but I am one of those who is just never satisfied I guess . . .

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More