Saturday, September 08, 2007

So Much For A Break

It wasn't much of a break, but my need for it subsided as I began to feel better by mid-week. When I further realized that I was, without either intent or desire, the center of several squalls if not storms at different places, I thought I should at least add my cent-and-a-third (especially as I was being maligned quite a bit). While I suppose I can imagine the title of one post was offensive to some, as they resolutely refused to get the point of that post (pro-lifers don't care all that much about real life, just fetal existence), I take their mockery and derision in stride. On the other hand, those who continue to insist that I am not a Christian, do not read the Bible in an acceptable fashion, and are a danger to others because of my alleged incoherence seem all too willing to continue a fight I really, really would prefer was over. For my part it is.

My hope over the ensuing days and weeks is to emerge from a bit of a critical phase to some tentative contructive statements, akin to my statements on the Bible. How successful these might be all depends, as always, on my energy, enthusiasm, and whatever might be going on in the larger world.

Which reminds me. This coming Tuesday, six years to the day anniversary of the attacks by al Qaeda upon the United States, is being promoted as, I have heard over and over, "Patriot Day". Perhaps this is my own churlishness, but I can't think of something less patriotic than remembering a day when our vaunted self-defense and intelligence operations failed to prevent the catastrophic deaths of thousands in New York, Washington, and a field in central Pennsylvania. Again, though, that's just me.

Finally, this week has seen the passing of, among others of thousands whose lives were of less note, Luciano Pavoratti and the Rev. Dr. D. James Kennedy. The former was a gifted artist; the latter a Jesuitical, Pharisaical danger to the life and health of both our religious and civil polity. The former contributed to the general wealth of humanity. The latter, by granting a "Christian Statesman" award to Tom DeLay, showed a remarkable lack of judgment. One will be missed. The other, not so much.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More