Sunday, February 04, 2007

Ick . . . Just . . . Ick

There is a link over at Alternet.org to an article in Glamour magazine on a tradition in Colorado called a "Purity Ball". Like a cross between a cotillion, a wedding, and a prom, fathers and daughters dress to the nines, get together, and the daughters (I can hardly keep my gorge down as I type this) pledge their virginity to their fathers. They promise to remain abstinent until marriage, making the vow public. They do it, however, in a way guaranteed to make most thinking, emotionally stable parents want to wash the creepy icky off.

You know, as a father of two girls, even if they wanted to do this, and insisted it was important to them to do so, I wouldn't do it. The gag-reflex is just a bit over-stimulated by the whole idea of my daughter pledging her purity to me.

I have to go shower again.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More