Friday, December 19, 2008

In Which I Cheat, And Copy And Paste Another Blogger's Post

Mark once said that I never say anything original. I think that's funny, because I have never claimed to do so. I have taken my lack of originality a step further now.

I have said it before, but DCup says it so much better, and shorter, than I ever could.
Dear President-Elect Obama:

In your press conference yesterday where you defended your choice of Pastor Rick Warren to participate in your inauguration, you used the word "abortion." I am writing today to request that you revise your language and begin using the word choice when discussing the issue of reproductive freedom. The term abortion is too narrow and misleading.

The Religious Right is not actually against just abortion. They are in favor of limiting the rights of women. If the recent last minute Bush Administration changes to reproductive laws are any indication of their true goals, you should be able to see that, too.

That is why, when you speak of this issue, it is so important that you really address the issue. The issue is not abortion. The real issue is privacy and a woman's right to control her own reproduction throughout her lifespan. That is why the issue should be referred to in the broad term of choice. Don't let the issue be narrowed to simply "abortion." When you use the word abortion to describe the issue, you are complicit in the Right's deception. They know that they have a better chance of chipping away at womens' rights if they pretend that they are just trying to save babies.

Don't help them in their mission to erode the rights of women.

I am heartened to learn that you will try to overturn the new Bush laws, but in the meantime, I ask you to be clear in your language. When you mean reproductive freedom, please say so.

Thank you and best regards,

DCup

The only thing I will add is that someone needs to get her a pundit job.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More