Saturday, July 26, 2008

Saturday Rock Show

A few years back, I was talking with a man I worked with about the band U2. He was a huge fan, and I told him that I had seen them in concert on the Joshua Tree tour. He replied, "I wanted to go, but my parents wouldn't let me."

I had no answer to that, because I went the fall after I graduated from college.

This is my favorite U2 song. Period. No question. I have no idea what it means for Bono. For me, it is God's reply to a prayer. The chorus, "So let it go, and fade away" - we need to let our sin go, and let it fade away, so we can be wide awake to the possibilities for life.

From the movie Rattle and Hum, the single best version of the single best song this wonderful band ever did. By the way, I like Bono's channeling of Jim Morrison, all withdrawn and introspective at the beginning. Morrison did it because he was painfully shy; I think Bono was doing it to show the way we retreat in to ourselves in those most private moments.

Or maybe he was just tired. Anyway, here's the song.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More