Monday, September 24, 2007

Music Monday

I am doing this to show Democracy Lover that I am not a culture-philistine.

One of the first classical CDs I got was a recording of Vivaldi violin concerti transcribed for classical guitar and performed by John Williams (not the composer, but the classical guitarist). Here is the Allegro from Vivaldi's Concerto in E Minor:

As a member of the Musical Heritage Society, I get the chance to receive remastered recordings from analog material. One, called Sons of Bach, includes three concerti arranged by W. A. Mozart, two by C. P. E. Bach, and one by J. C. Bach. I tried to find one of these, but found, in stead, Carl Phillip Emmanuel Bach's Cello Concerto in A Minor:

One of my favorite recent purchases, a two-disc feature on Baroque music from Britain, features various works by William Boyce (I prefer the disc with his eight symphonies myself). All I could find is this clip of organist Bob Smith performing the Larghetto and Allegro from Boyce's Voluntary #4 in G Minor:

As a side note, too many of the clips on YouTube featuring concerti are of young prodigies performing. I, for one, could not be less impressed. Just thought I would toss that out there.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More