Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Outrage Exhaustion, Part I

Remember the Hamdinyah murder case from a couple years ago? Some Marines entered a village, raped a young girl, then killed her family. First, we were told the murders were actually combat deaths of insurgents. Then we were told the Marines were acting out of rage because a member of their squad had just been killed by a sniper/IED/small arms fire. Then we were told they were revenge killings for the same death, only they occurred a few days later. Finally, we discover the Marines simply did what they did because they could, and a court martial found them guilty. Justice for at least a few Iraqi deaths, while delayed, was not denied, right?

Apparently, not.

I realize that, like Pres. Bush's commutation of Scooter Libby's prison sentence for perjury, the Commanding Officer of the 1st Marines was perfectly within his rights to free the two Marines in question. What was achieved by doing so, however? Like Lt. Calley's release soon after his conviction for the My Lai massacre, it has done nothing to clear the sullied reputation of these men. Beyond that, we have sent a very clear signal to the Iraqis that we have no concern for the rule of our own laws, at least when the victims of our criminal activities are Iraqis. Of course, they didn't need further proof of that . . .

I am glad that I have turned from ranting about politics to ranting about religion and getting hyped for the Dream Theater concert in Rosemont on Friday (I think I might have mentioned it once or twice . . .) because I am tired of being enraged by the arrogance of those in power. At least when I rant about my own religious beliefs, I get other people ranting at me for being apostate.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More