Wednesday, July 18, 2007

No Sacred Cows

I am engaged in a bit of a heated exchange with Cameron on this thread at his blog. It concerns a political cartoon in which American troops are portrayed as morally equivalent to the caricature of the evil, Islamic terrorist.

I think the cartoon is spot on in a number of respects. I also think that it is wholly fair to take aim at the rhetoric we use to justify our heinous criminal war in Iraq, and the way our troops are used as pawns, manipulated by rhetoric. Finally, while it should probably go without saying, I think it is important to reply that criticism of the actions of some of our troops and some of the more egregious, criminal acts they have committed is not a slander on all our troops who are in a horrible situation, with no end in sight.

I also think that even were I one of the few who thought our troops are all equally awful human beings deserving whatever horrors they might receive, while despicable, is acceptable. Unless our troops are defending some kind of freedom that doesn't include the freedom to hate them and what they are doing, then I suppose we should all pull up stakes and go home. Are these fighting words? Perhaps.

While perhaps irrelevant, I think some personal items for consideration are in order. Three of my mother's brothers served in military intelligence. Two of them were so deep that their military records are classified over fifty years since their discharges. My mother's oldest brother literally disappeared after boot camp at Great Lakes and was not heard from until the day after D-Day, when he called my grandmother from Switzerland (an interesting place for a naval officer, no?). Another of her brothers served in the Army during the Second World War, his service cut short by an automobile accident that broke both his legs.

My father and his brother also served in the military during WWII, my dad in the Army, my uncle in the Navy.

I am proud of the service of my family to this country. I am proud of all our troops currently serving, doing an impossible task in an impossible situation by incompetent, venal civilian leaders. Neglected, used as pawns and rhetorical props by politicians too ridiculously myopic to see their complicity in the destruction of our military, our troops deserve better than those currently tasked with leading them.

None of this, however, means that our troops are a priori exempt from criticism. My criticism tends to be of the politicians and their rhetoric. My criticism is based upon a deep and abiding love for this country and those who serve in the military, risking more than they should be asked to risk to keep us safe. That doesn't mean that people who don't believe the way I do should remain silent. It may be gauche, inappropriate, and resentful to tar our troops, but it is not un-American.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More