Monday, July 16, 2007

Music Monday

I suppose I telegraphed this yesterday, but I have just two words to begin: Black. Sabbath.

I know that most fans believe that sabbath ceased to exist for all intents and purposes when they kicked Ozzy out in 1979. Ronnie James Dio will always have a special place in my own musical heart, however, because he is (a) short; (b) has one of the more distinctive voices in heavy metal; (c) and so earnest, taking himself and his goofy lyrics so seriously. Also, I think that "Heaven and Hell" is one of the best Sabbath songs ever, right up there with "Paranoid" and "N.I.B."

Lest you think I have taken leave of my senses completely, I think much of Ozzy's later solo material, with Zach Wylde on guitar, is far superior even to the music of early Sabbath. My own favorite is "No More Tears".

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More