Sunday, December 03, 2006

Let the Games Begin (UPDATED WITH LINK)

Dirftglass Blog has a commentary on today's column by New York Times reporter Nicholas Kristof. It is subscription-only, so I have not read it, so perhaps commentary on it is unwarranted, but Driftglass' comments give one a good idea of the general tenor and content. I have to say, I for one am in agreement with Drifty over Kristof, although for different reasons. Kristof's column calls for a truce on attacks upon "religion" (a term I hate; I much prefer specificity to generalizations, and religion is a word that covers a multitude of sins, and virtues). I cannot see why. Is religion such a fragile crystal it will break under the smallest pressure? Do Christians fear the truth of the sting of criticism, and lack the resources to go about their business under the scrutiny of those who do not share their convictions? I would not countenance attacks upon minority religions in the United States, especially in the current environment Islam, but only because most of what one reads and hears is not so much criticism as ignorant bigotry masked as legitimate criticism. We do not know enough about that particular faith to comment upon it intelligently, so we should just be quiet, and perhaps learn a thing or two.

As far as attacks upon Christianity are concerned, I am fine with it. Especially the politicized Christian Right is as deserving of criticism as one can imagine; as the most vocal, most powerful, and most visible Christians currently available, I do not think they are above criticism. The last time I checked, this was a free country, and no one - not even religious types - is above criticism. If you can't play in the big leagues, where you don't get to set the rules, but have to abide by those that put everyone on the same plane, I would suggest you pack your bags and go home. To try and exempt religion and religious folks - even nice liberal types like me - from criticism is ridiculous.

There is one point in Driftglass' commentary that I want to disagree with, however. He criticizes Kristof for saying the religious right has retreated from the "culture wars" (which were mostly a figment of the imagination of the right anyway, but that is a point for another day). I think Kristof is correct, to an extent, as such a Kulturkampfer as Cal Thomas has already suggested that it might be time to rethink the entire idea of a war on, or perhaps in, or maybe for, culture (the choice of preposition is important, and one I never quite understood as being correct). I also think Driftglass is correct that ithasn't happened yet. there has been a general retreat from the militant rhetoric, but only because there is a recognition that there is no way for "Christian values" to win in the marketplace of ideas without some form of gross enforcement. There will always be those who struggle over these issues, but the shrill nature of the the past generation is, I believe, a thing that shall recede into the background noise more and more.

I look forward to Kristof's column becoming available so I can read it in its entirety. Perhaps, in doing so I might change my opinion. In the mean time, son't shrink from the opportunity to either criticize or be xriticized; that is what living in a free society is all about. If you can't take the heat, get out of the American kitchen. Let the games begin.

UPDATE: I corrected the link above so now it might actually work, and here is the Kristof piece via Faith in Public Life.org. I have nothing to add after reading it. Bring it on.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More