Sunday, November 26, 2006

Musical Interlude and Promo

When I first heard Seal I marvelled at several things. First, the mix of styles and influences, everything from progressive rock to 70's era funk to late-80's dance club slickness. I also thought former-Yes vocalist Trevor Horn's over-production was a bit much, distracting from the essential power of Seal's music. The pile of overdubs and effects become distracting, even dizzying. Yet, I could not forget songs like "Crazy" and "Prayer for the Dying". When, on his third album, Seal switched producers, I found that, in fact, Horn's production values were exactly what Seal needed to create the effect he wanted (although I believe his insistence on the liner notes to his Gold, best-of collection that he prefers the simplicity of acoustic performance).

Give a listen to "Furture Love Paradise" and try not to sing along. Give a listen to "Human Beings" and try not to dance. Give a listen, and remember, "If we're ever going to survive, we've got to get a little bit crazy."

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More