Saturday, October 29, 2011

I Love Rock And Roll, So Put Another Dime In The Jukebox, Baby

I honestly thought I'd have to punt on this one - a song I've played on a jukebox. Sheesh. Then, I remembered the Back Door Lounge at Starved Rock Lounge. I worked there in the early aughts, and the last couple years they had a jukebox in the bar where we'd go to eat our lunch. When it was dead in the off-season, I'd put a quarter in, and pick four songs. They had the full version of the Dead's "Terrapin Station", one of Robert Hunter's better lyrical compositions. The melody is a pretty tune, something the Dead was good at when they really wanted to.

Some Deadheads didn't like it when it first came out, because they used an orchestra. They screeched, "Sell outs!" Well, why not, from a creative point of view, at least give it a shot? Here's the whole thing, nearly fifteen minutes, with the band's signature vocal harmonies, Garcia playing with a restraint the song calls for, but his voice still strong before the ravages of years of smoking both unfiltered cigarettes and heroin had taken their toll. I do like this song.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More