Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I Write Email (Error Correction; UPDATE)

After reading on a website that monitors human trafficking that a US company under contract in Afghanistan held a party that included young "dancing boys" - boys used for sexual pleasure - I fumed and fretted, and then decided to attempt to do something. At this point, it was about all I felt I could do. I emailed Sen. Richard Durbin the following:
It was brought to my attention today that DynCorp, a security firm operating under a US-funded contract in Afghanistan, hosted a party that included so-called Afghan "dancing boys", who are no more than child prostitutes. I am writing this evening to urge you and your colleagues to convene hearings on this matter at the earliest time available. I would also urge you to write Attorney General Eric Holder to begin an investigation in to these allegations.

Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter.

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford
Tomorrow afternoon, I am going to place a follow-up call to his Washington office on this matter. I have no idea if it will make any difference. All I know is that if I do not do something, nothing will happen. Sitting around and bitching in my beer saves no children from this horrific fate. At least if I try, who knows what can happen.

UPDATE: I spoke to a very patient young woman named Erin, who works in Sen. Durbin's Washington office. I gave her the information, as well as let her know this was a follow-up call to an email I had sent the previous evening. I stumbled over my words a bit, but gave her the URL of the wesbite where I saw the allegation, as well as the name of the contractor involved. I thanked her for her time, understanding that with a very busy calendar at the end of this legislative session, there was a whole lot on their plates.

I just hope they understand this isn't going away.

*I misremembered the name of the company involved. It is DynCorp, not DynaCorp. I have corrected this error. Oops.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More