Saturday, June 12, 2010

Before It Goes In The Packing Box . . .

I'm getting ready to put Quote, Unquote* in a box where it will sit for a few weeks until it reappears, I hope, in the new parsonage in Plato Center. I thought I would offer some gems (not always safe for work!) without comment.

We can be of little service to our fellows until we become disillusioned without being embittered. - F. Fraser Darling

Without the friendship of the Happy Dead, how should we bear our life? - wall plaque, Stillingfleet Church, North Yorkshire

It's nothing that a guy should take all of his emotions, his prayers and meditations into a night club, and torture the people with their torments by playing everything they feel. It would be better sometimes to play some things they imagine to be true, outside their own personal lives. - Charles Mingus

I'd cross an Alp to see a village idiot of quality. - Norman Douglas

When shit becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes. - Brazilian proverb

Few people have the imagination for reality - Goethe

Art never seems to make me peaceful or pure. - Willem deKoonig

What dull barbarians are not proud of their dullness and barbarism? - William Makepeace Thackeray

There are no wrong notes. - Thelonius Sphere Monk

Poetry is nobody's business except the poet's, and everybody else can fuck off. - Philip Larkin

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. - Harry S. Truman

*Seventy bucks for a book I was given? If it wasn't so important to me, I'd be willing to sell it for that price!

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More