Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Heads A-Poppin'

As I do not listen to Contemporary Christian Music (CCM; I consider this something necessary for my aesthetic health) I have never heard of Jennifer Knapp. So, it is with great surprise that I read this:
Another prominent Christian music artist has come out of the closet.

In interviews this week with Reuters, Christianity Today, and a prominent homosexual publication, Dove Award-winning and Grammy-nominated musician Jennifer Knapp made public that she is a lesbian who has been in a relationship with a woman for eight years. The announcement comes roughly one month before the release of her new album titled "Letting Go" and after several years' hiatus from the music scene.

Reuters alludes to "rumors about her sexuality" over the past several years -- rumors her Christian fans "faithfully shot down" -- but quotes her saying about her concerts: "I'm definitely getting a lot more friendly winks from the girls than I have in the past." And she told Christianity Today that she is not a "pro-gay activist" but "just a normal human being who's dealing with normal everyday life scenarios. As a Christian, I'm doing that as best as I can."

My guess is hundreds of thousands of CDs are being burned even as we speak, iTunes playlists are being shortened, and denouncements of her are probably pouring in.

Yet, I have to congratulate her, even though I cannot for the life of me picture myself listening to her music. She's got guts.

(h/t - Rick Perlstein via Facebook)

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More