Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Silence Is Not Consent

I have been quiet about the Louisiana JOP who refused to marry an interracial couple. This is not because I am shocked and saddened by this; nor is it because I think it relatively unimportant. On the contrary, I think this incident, which might seem small and insignificant to some, is hugely important. I guess I just don't want to follow the herd with various web-stories and all.

Yet, it has occurred to me that my silence on this matter might actually be interpreted as acquiescence. The reasons the JOP gave for refusing to marry this couple - out of "concern" for "the children" - actually makes me want to rage, because I know four intelligent, funny, gifted children without whom the world would be a little less special had this kind of thinking prevailed: my nephews and niece.

I recently got in to a bit of a pissing contest with someone whom I admire, like, and am grateful for. I know that he, too, is married to a lovely, talented woman and has lovely, talented children none of which would be true of this dork had been in charge.

The man's statement the other day that he didn't break any laws and didn't "prevent" them from getting married because he gave them information on another justice who would do it misses the point. As long as the basic legal qualifications for marriage were met by this couple, this man was obligated to perform the ceremony as long as it didn't interfere with his other duties as JOP.

The refusal to marry a couple based solely on race is not a minor glitch, but an affront not just to the constitution and our laws, but to common decency. What's worse, the stated reasons are as small-minded and bigoted as the act itself; as has been pointed out a bit too much, our President is the result of a mixed marriage, as is the world's richest pro golfer. Besides these examples, there are millions of young people who are alive and smart and funny and tender and have loving homes with parents of different races. The arbitrary, illegal, and bigoted decision to refuse to marry this couple is an insult to all those families as well, betraying an ignorance of the reality that our wonderfully diverse land is filled with all sorts of success stories, all sorts of families and people, who lead happy, productive lives without necessarily following the rules of what used to be considered acceptable.

I guess I was feeling a bit bad that I hadn't made it clear how angry and sad I was when I heard about this. I did not want in any manner, fashion, or form, for my silence on this event to be considered consent.

Offered with apologies.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More