Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Besides The One On Top Of Your Head, What's Your Point? (UPDATE)

Before I get to my current frustration, a little background is in order. When I started visiting right-wing fundie sights last year, one of the commenters I came across on a pretty regular basis was Mark. At some point in a thread long since forgotten, he made some point about the fact that I seemed to be showing off or bragging or something about my educational background, and that he, unlike me, had to work for a living and wasn't as educated. Or something like that. A conversation developed in which it was made known that Mark, in fact, has a thing about people with education, some kind of chip on his shoulder or other.

OK, that's fine.

In an effort to inject a bit of humor in to a somewhat testy relationship, I would occasionally needle Mark with remarks about "big words" or some such; I was, honestly enough, only kidding. Instead, he recently got very indignant with me and proclaimed he had "a genius IQ".

Immediately, I had a picture of Wile E. Coyote, "Genius", plummeting once again off a cliff, with a boulder falling after . . .

In any event, he is apparently trying to impress me - or something - as should be clear from the following comment:
Nobama is a floccinaucinihilipilification, as are Geoffrey's ludicrous comments.

To which I responded:
BTW, Mark, I see your Word-a-Day calendar investment is paying off.

Later in this same comment thread - just tonight, in fact, Mark wrote:
Geoffrey, Morologus es! Vescere bracis meis.

Tace atque abi.

Now, he says he's just trying to have fun with me.

Am I missing something here? Or what?

I looked up floccinaucinihilipilification on Wikipedia, and found out it means "the act of describing something as worthless, or making something to be worthless by deprecation". How it applies in the specific comment by Mark, I don't know.

As for the Latin phrases, they include, "You're talking like a moron. Eat my shorts [I guess I'm in sixth grade]. Shut up and go away."

Telling someone to "eat my shorts", even if it is in a dead language, hardly puts one up there with Montesquieu, or even Gladstone, as a user of the first lingua franca.

To his query as to my sense of humor, I just replied (and I want a record of it here before Marshall Art gets all upset and takes it down), "I do. I think being an idiot in a dead language is hysterical."

UPDATE: Now, he calls me an elitist, "but not in a good way." Jesus-please-us, what is this guys freakin' problem?

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More