Monday, September 22, 2008

Music Monday

In the fall of 1983, Roberta Flack performed at Alfred University, accompanied by the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. It was beautiful. She happened to have a song in the top ten at the time, a duet with Peabo Bryson (whatever happened to these people?). "Tonight I Celebrate My Love" is a beautiful song about making love for the first time with someone. She sang it, although with an unknown back-up singer.

She had yet another hit duet, with Donny Hathaway, with "The Closer I Get To You". I have always liked the synthesizer backing on this; it provides a wonderful atmosphere. This is, also, another wonderful love song.

She became famous for the song, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", a piano arrangement for which my older sister had, and which I tried to teach myself, without much luck.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More