Sunday, August 19, 2007

Enough Already (UPDATED)

I want to post my latest, and perhaps last, comment on Neil's 4simpson's blog, because I am quite sure it will be taken down.
“False teachers”? And you want to spread the love and grace of God. Please. Yours is the most judgmental, small-minded, narrow version of Christianity I have ever come across. Frankly, I want no part of it, your God, or your Jesus. It is quite literally meaningless to me. your God excludes. Mine embraces. Your Jesus denies people. Mine loves. Your church calls “homosexuals” abnormal. Mine loves them and welcomes them as fellow human beings.

There is no gospel here. I have yet to read “Good News”. I have yet to read serious reflection on issues such as racism, poverty, war, injustice. I have yet to read any indication that the Church might exist as more than just a place of refuge from a sinful world. As for my ignorance of college, I will allow that comment to stand on its own - you assume far too much, it seems, based on your own preconceptions.

I have been wanting to reach out, to understand, to listen, to dialogue. All I get is judged, scorned, called names, and treated as if I were dirty. I do believe I shall spare myself further aggravation and avoid this site as much as possible, because there are far too many rules and regulations here for my comfort.

On a closing note, I was just listening to the Casting Crowns song, “Voice of Truth”. The first verse talks about Jesus calling to us to step out of the boat on to the stormy sea, and asks us to consider the possibility of “stepping out of our comfort zone”. This is the challenge that Jesus poses for us - to be not afraid, to trust, and to take that first step. There is the rank smell of fear here - fear of a culture that does not care about your brand of Christianity, fear of other Christians whose very existence is a threat and a challenge, fear of anyone who might be or live or think differently. This is what German theologian Jurgen Moltmann calls “pusillanimous faith”. As a colleague of my wife’s recently stated, it is not true that only Jesus walked on water; with Jesus’ help, Peter did as well. Rather than tell everyone how wrong they are, you might consider listening and opening yourself to the dangers posed by other ways of thinking and living. You might find that God’s grace and Providence extend far beyond the borders of your very limited mind and faith.

I have nothing to add except that I do believe I have learned my lesson. Should this kind of (non)thinking ever take over the Church, call me a heretic and burn me at the stake, because I want no part of it.

UPDATE: For some reason I just went back, and Neil "responded" to this comment. I have to admit being surprised. He claims that he is not afraid, just as Mom2 in a later comment claims there is not a "bad spirit" at the site. Yadda-yadda-yadda.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More