Saturday, February 24, 2007

Housekeeping Notes, and a Word to the Goat

I have added word verification to the comments section because I have decided to avoid having to go back and delete comment-spam, this is the quickest way around. I still let anyone and everyone comment - even my OLDest sister - and I only delete comments if they are spam.

I have linked to a blog by a conservative operating under the webonym "Goat". He is pretty right-wing, but what the heck, right? We're all in this together and all that . . .

I do want to make a couple observations. First, Goat has banned Parklife - and others - from his site, and reviews all comments before posting them. His rules for posting are strict, and if you ask me, counter-productive. The whole idea behind this is getting in to the fray, mixing it up with other people, sometimes even having people call you an asshole, or even worse names. It isn't always about substance, and substance isn't about avoiding dirty words (a lesson Joe Klein still has not internalized, although he did write "Jeeezus!" on his blog today; the first steps are always the hardest . . .). The most memorable conversations are the ones that include really heated arguments. As long as we respect one another in the morning, what's the harm in the occasional "Go fuck yourself"? If it's good enough for Dick Cheney, it's good enough for me.

On a related note (and this is directed at Goat), please do not disparage either the character or motives of those whom I consider my friends and web-mates, including Parklife. I am not sure what you mean by a "blogwar", but I am sure PL was just amused at your site, or perhaps even interested. That others might be less charitable, well it kind of goes with the territory. You need to lighten up a tad.

Finally, Goat, do not think me impressed by either erudition or knowledge. I have both in spades, and it counts for absolutely nothing. More than either, I prefer a willingness to be open, and a sense of humor. Even if you find you can't accept any of this, or find me presumptuous in offering advice and no longer visit, I shall continue the link. It is about communication, after all, and where would I be without all those right-wingers to keep me honest?

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More