Monday, November 13, 2006

The Church and Official Hostility (If It Exists) UPDATED

Apparently, my turtle-loving neighbors to the north would like to convince me of a variety of things. First, it was that the ACLU was some nutty, far-left group because it defended the Klan and Nazis. Next, it was that there were only two alternatives in Iraq and the Democratic Party (and by extention and implication, the majority of Americans who voted last Tuesday) are chicken-hearts. Now, they wish to convince me that the American government is actively hostile to the religious freedoms of Christians in America. I am not being egotistical; they addressed this issue to me directly, as you can see here.

Rather than deal with the whole thing, I want to say that I approach the issue of official hostility to the Church from two different angles, somewhat complementary, but from another perspective it could also be seen as contradictory. As an American who loves the Constitution, I am a vigorous supporter of the separation of church and state. I do not want the state - in whatever form - meddling in church business, whether it's prayers before school begins or before official school functions; using taxpayer funds to put up a creche at Christmas time on public property; giving official sanction to any form of religious activity, practice or belief, no matter how tacit. Prayer, the teachings of the faith, exposition of scripture - these are the precious possession of the Church, not pearls to be tossed before the swine of officialdom simply because too many conservative Christian are, in the wonderful word of German theologian Jurgen Moltmann, "pusillanimous" to actually struggle with the faith and would prefer the props of the state rather than face the possibility that faith is as much earned through struggle as it is a gift from above.

As a Christian, if there is official hostility against the Church and expressions of the Christian faith (and there is simply no evidence for it), I would be glad if representatives of the state were actively hostile towards me because of my faith. That would convince me that my faith was, at least in some instances, genuine. Since the beginnings of the faith, it has been recognized that expressions of true piety are antithetical to getting along with worldly power. It was the Constantinian Era that changed that; how can the official religion of an Empire be at odds with the Empire? We have ended that age of religious and political accomodation.

In a comment, the folks over there claim I want people to, in essence, hide their faith-light under a bushel. Actually, I want people to live their lives. Period. If my children come home from school and say that a teacher or principal has said something to them concerning some aspect of them practicing their faith - saying grace before a meal, praying before a test, whatever it might be - I would not run for the phone to call a lawyer. I would not publish it here in this blog or anywhere else. I would tell my children, quietly, to continue to do what they have been doing, and pray. What else should I do?

Because they have been devoting such attention to me recently, I have decided to link to them. A discussion partner is a good thing.

UPDATE: Apropos of this thread, I found out here that yesterday was the International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church. If you click here there is an order of worship, by Daniel Benedict, that includes the following:
As part of the Invitation:
In our prayer for persecuted Christians,
let us not narrow our compassion for all who suffer,
whatever their profession or creed,
let no hatred or prejudice enter our hearts for anyone.

And the responsive prayer (the darker text is the response of the congregation):
God of the suffering
and all who stagger under the weight of the cross of Christ,
hear us as we seek to stand with those persecuted for being Christians.
Your cross bearers in other lands are living reminders to us of the cost of discipleship.
While we are at ease in Zion,
they are in an exile of pain and isolation.
While we are feasting on thge good things around us,
they keep an involuntary fast.
While we assume a future of well-being,
they don't know if they will be alive tomorrow.
While we wear the cross as a piece of jewelry,
they bear it as an invitation to abuse, exclusion, imprisonment - even death.

Turn our hearts to them in prayer in acts of compassion and justice.
Thank you for breathing in tehm and in us the yearning for sharing one another's burdens. Loose their shackles and our complacency.
Bind the forces of abuse & violence at work in their persecutors.
In the silence, pray your mercy in us.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More