Monday, April 22, 2013

A Musical Interlude

I've written about my enjoyment of the internet music/radio site Spotify.  There are all sorts of things I could write about this morning, but, really, I just feel like listening to music.  What I like most about Spotify is that it is social.  Not only can you link it to Twitter and Facebook, but you can follow others, check out their playlists, share music, and (what I do) steal when someone listens to a song you forgot about.

I have 6 different playlists.  The shortest is a mock-up of the soundtrack to  the film Almost Famous.  For some reason, that's not on Spotify, so I cobbled one together based on the music in the movie.  It ranges from the obscure - "Something In The Air" by Thunderclap Newman - the truly classic, including "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath and "Tiny Dancer", featured in a memorable scene.

I have a jazz playlist and one of choral music, to both of which I listen at work.  The jazz playlist has 217 tracks, spanning from early Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington up through Weather Report, with a heavy reliance on Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Bird, and Trane.  The choral music is heavy on the Renaissance composers, but also includes Rachmaninoff's Vespers, Morten Lauridsen's Lux Aeterna, and some choral renditions of traditional hymns.

I have one I call "Morning Mix".  That's music for Lisa and me, in the mornings.  Quiet, probably banal, but it is pleasant enough, and it makes us both smile.

The big one I call "Eclectic Mix of Favorites".  785 songs, spanning funk, soul, pop, rock, and, well, pretty much whatever.  Here's a sample thanks to the "shuffle" button:

The Real Thing - Faith No More
Furry Sings the Blues - Joni Mitchell
Talk Talk - Talk Talk
Wilderness Heart - Black Mountain
Torment of the Metals - Black Math Horseman
Pull Me Under - Dream Theater
Meanwhile - Moody Blues
Save It For Later - The Beat
Rosalita - Bruce Springsteen
Heart of Gold - Neil Young

And because a post like this wouldn't be complete without something extra:


I'm planning on putting together a Gospel playlist, with some help from some friends who know the genre better than I do.  Because the soul can be fed in all sorts of ways, am I right?

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More