Sunday, October 30, 2011

My First Time

Doing something you love always begins at some point. Unlike the fantasies we all have, whether that's walking up to the plate, swinging the bat at the first pitch ever to come our way, and smacking it over the fence, or throwing/receiving a forty-yard pass then running for a touchdown as defenders peel off because we're just too fast, the reality is usually much different.

So, too, with starting a record collection. I would love to tell you that my first purchases included Never Mind The Bollocks or The Ramones' first album; I would be so happy to let you know that The Jazz Messengers and Al DiMeola were on my want-list when I was 14.

I'd be lying.

I grew up surrounded by music. And records. It seemed natural enough, when I turned eleven or so, to decide I wanted to buy some music. I didn't really give it much thought. I went out and bought what I really wanted to hear. One of the really big albums for teens at the time was Destroyer, by KISS. So, here I am admitting my first conscious album purchase was this bit of cheesy schlock that, all in all, had some really good songs on it. Their radio hit "Beth". The opening track, "Detroit Rock City", one of their better arranged songs. And their anthemic follow-up to "Rock And Roll All Night", "Shout It Out Loud".



At least I remember my first time. As in so many of life's most important things, I would like to believe I've become better at buying music with practice.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More