Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Random Music - Memory Lane Edition

Lisa was digging for nuggets in her past. It got me thinking, and one I came up with was this:

I'm not going to say why - too personal - but it does remind us all that some songs get linked to events in our lives, whether we want them to or not.

At the same time, since I'm still enjoying far too much time remembering my childhood and youth - did we really party at the Horseshoe? What were we thinking? - someone asked if there was one song that reminded us of high school. In all honesty, no, not one song. There were some songs, though, that when I hear them now, sounding timeless and earning that weird epithet "classic", reminds me that I am old enough to have heard them when they were brand new. For example, I distinctly remember the very first time I heard this one:

I had never heard anything like it. Listening on my little clock radio, after the DJ announced it as "the first single" (God, would any band release a song like this as a single today?) from "the new album", I couldn't believe it. To this day, I think Brian Johnson's nails-on-a-chalkboard vocals are some of the best ever.

When I saw Rush at the United Center in Chicago in 2002 for the first time in a very long time, they opened with this song.

Another one of those that I remember hearing for the first time as a new song.

I don't have the best soundtrack from my youth. At least, though, I have one.

Circles - Joe Satriani
Symphony #35, Second Movement - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
In The Cage (Live) - Genesis
Black Crow - Joni Mitchell
Slainte Mhath (Live) - Marillion
Hope - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Who Are You (Lost Verse Mix) - The Who
Freaks - James LaBrie
Two Lovers - Mary Wells
Knife Edge - Emerson, Lake, & Palmer


I like songs about death. I swear I'm not morbid.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More