Friday, July 15, 2011

Moving On . . .

I have been thinking recently of moving my recent set of writings on the Marcellus Shale gas boom to a new site. Then, yesterday, I was reading Lisa at That's Why, who had been talking about reading some old posts from an old blog she used to write and has reactivated, and I decided to go for it. It will be publicly available, with a big link here for regular visitors. This blog may - or may not - become inactive. I do know that, starting in September, I will be leading a class called Christian Believer at church. The class includes assigned daily reading and reflections, and this is as good a place as any to do that kind of reflecting. Since it is "daily", I will be posting daily on matters theological. In the interim, however, I think this site will be less active.

My reasons for doing so are complicated. First, I have discovered that there is a tremendous amount of material on all aspects of the Marcellus Shale gas boom, and it takes a whole lot of time and energy to figure out what's good and what's not, what's trustworthy and what's not, and what, exactly, are the facts of the matter. Yesterday, I had to speed-skim through a 400-plus page government report, something I would not wish on my worst enemy, as well as related material, and such is far more difficult than you might imagine.

Also, I tend to be single-minded about things. Some might call it obsessive. Others, monomaniacal. In fact, I just cannot concentrate on more than one matter that taxes my feeble mental powers at any given time. While my interests in life continue along as they always have, wading in to the deep waters of the gas boom is pushing out other things. With our politics stuck in the mire of the fantastically stupid, and my own theological musings muted until we as a class move forward this autumn, I just don't have either time, energy, or quite frankly the interest to pursue discussions or reflections on other topics at the moment. The gas boom is where my attention lies; it is only fair to me, to my readers, and to the topic that I make some kind of separation among it all.

Before I move on, though, I decided to read through some old posts, by way of introducing myself today to the person I was a few years back. Not at all randomly, I picked this same week in July, 2007 as a reference. Some of what I found was interesting. My conversation partners were different, although Art was making a regular appearance. One thing I am embarrassed about - although why I'm embarrassed I do not know - is the sheer amount of writing I did. In my defense, I can only say that I had a whole lot of energy, and a strong desire to get stuff out of my head in to some semi-rational, semi-usable shape. Of course, on the other hand, this doesn't mean I had to hit that "publish post" button at the bottom of the page. What on earth possessed me to think writing 18 posts in a week was in any way a good thing?

Ah, well. We live and learn. Some things, at least.

In any case, start looking for more on the Marcellus Shale and related stuff at my new site, When Gas Went Boom, later today. I do hope long-time readers will pay a visit.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More