Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wednesday Randomness, Silly Love Songs Edition

I am bad about love songs. I know there are all sorts out there, but, being a sentimentalist at heart, I tend to lean toward schmaltz. It's really embarrassing. Shoot, I get teary-eyed over stupid country songs men sing about their children when I should know better. While I think Frank Zappa's saying that, with all the love songs out there, you'd think the whole world would be smothered in love, proving that music "makes us" do nothing is true enough; I also think that deeply felt love songs strike a chord because they give voice to things we feel.

So, I'm not gonna post any of my favorite love songs, except for this gem from the 1980's, because I like it, and the lead singer has an awesome mullet.



OK, fire 'em up!

Sister Moon - Sting
Sanctus, Mass #4 in C - Franz Schubert
Straight To The Top (Rhumba) - Tom Waits
Nine Cats - Porcupine Tree
Love Hangover - Diana Ross
Regret - Dead Soul Tribe
Satch Boogie - Joe Satriani
Guinivere - Crosby, Still, and Nash
The Holy Spirit Is Helping Us - Dresden Cathedral Choir
Zombie Eaters - Faith No More


Those last two show some breadth of taste as well as serious randomness!

Amos Lee's Mission Bell is the number one album in the country. It also has the lowest sales figures in the history of any #1 album. That doesn't mean it's bad. It means people aren't buying albums. I love this album. Here's "Jesus".

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More