Sunday, February 01, 2009

Twenty-One Years Ago

I was trying to remember the number, and Oliver Willis reminded me. It was late-January (the game was played a bit earlier then), but the day was warm - mid-60's - and presaged a hot, dry spring and summer to come. I was living in the upstairs apartment in a house in Rochester, NY. It was a mostly unhappy time, at least in my memory, and certainly I wasn't very happy at the time, but that day . . . that game.

The Washington Redskins seemed outmatched, and Doug Williams was just faltering through the first quarter. It wasn't just me; the announcers had all but given up on the 'Skins. Then, in quarter number 2, something happened. Williams threw a touchdown pass. Then, after four-and-punt from the Broncos, he did it again. Then, they forced a turnover and scored again. The Broncos kept reeling as the Redskins scored and scored and scored some more. By half-time the game was all but over.

When I look back on that time in my life, that game, that day, stand out for me because everything in my life would change before the calendar turned, and that Super Bowl Sunday was a hint, a clue, perhaps even a sign that things are not always what they seem, that time doesn't stand still, that things can turn around in a blink of an eye.

I remembered the game, and the day, just not the Superbowl number (although, if I had just done a little subtraction I would have come to it, I suppose). Anyone else have any Super Bowl memories they would like to share (after the game, of course)?

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More