Monday, July 23, 2007

Clarifications

Lest anyone think that I am insufficiently alarmed by our current Constitutional crisis, I should probably come clean about my own feelings about the scary direction current events are taking.

First, I believe that we are in a Constitutional crisis. I think the across-the-board "executive privilege" claims of the Administration are cause enough to get started on impeachment. I just despair that current political realities being what they are would strangle this particular baby in its crib.

Second, I believe that the recent Executive Orders concerning contingencies in the case of another terrorist attack might just be a set up to suspending the Constitution in the face of any threat, no matter how minuscule. I do believe that we are entering in to scary territory. The fact that Bush has been more than willing to fire general after general while insisting he listens to his generals shows that he has nothing but contempt for pretty much anyone.

Third, I believe that, should the contingency be used, we would be entering territory this country hasn't seen since the 1860's, if even then. This is a frightening scenario, and one not outside the realm of possibility. If so, all bets are off. Would the military back its commander-in-chief in an executive coup d'etat? Would elements of the military square off against one another? To contemplate such questions is frightening.

The alternatives we face are limited by a stubborn executive and the limited power of Congress, as it is sitting right now, to enforce its will. Perhaps that is the reason Conyers said that elections are our only recourse (if, in fact, he said it at all). Our options are limited, but part of repairing the Constitutional structure is working within it.

I honestly feel we are in a bad way until January, 2009.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More