Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Point Of Personal Privilege

Yesterday, I received word that a colleague of Lisa's has Stage 4 metastatic colon cancer. She and her husband are only three or four years older than we are. While "grown" in the technical sense, they have two children.

Over the weekend, I found out that a man who was my best friend while we lived in VA, a man who helped me keep my sanity, with whom I laughed and read, and thought, and all sorts of other things, has terminal pancreatic/liver cancer. He is, I believe, 48 or 49.

I would like everyone who reads this blog, whether you are a Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Baha'i, Hindu, Mormon (Hi, Cameron!), or atheist to keep Patricia Anderson and her family, and Steven Creech and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

I, for one, do not pray for "healing" for anyone. If you ask for "healing", remember that it is a far different thing from "curing". I pray for presence, for peace, for strength, for courage. And, yes, I also pray for the ability to be honest enough to rage at God for the unfairness and meaninglessness of it. For a disease that strikes out of nowhere stealing our loved ones from us. For anger that at never seeing one's children graduate from college or marry. Anger at not seeing one's grandchildren, holding them on one's knee. Anger at God for this kind of thing is OK.

Remember Patty and her husband Steve and their two children. Remember Steve and his mother and brother.

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More