Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Ambiguities Of Good, Evil, Us, Them, With A Glance At Why They Hate Us

The following are excerpts from two different books. I offer them with no commentary, only for your study and consideration. The first is from The Killing of Sarajevo by Zeljko Vukovic (1993, p 134):
I am a Muslim, and I am thirty five years old. To my second son who was just born, I gave the name "Jihad". So he would not forget the testament of his mother - revenge. The first time I put my baby at my breast I told him, "May this milk choke you if you forget." So be it. The Serbs taught me to hate. For the last two months there was nothing in me. No pain, no bitterness. Only hatred. I taught these children to love. I did. I am a teacher of literature. I was born in Ilijas and I almost died there. My student, Zoran, the only son of my neighbor, urinated into my mouth. As the bearded hooligans standing around laughed, he told me" "You are good for nothing else, you stinking Muslim woman . . ." I do not know whether I first heard the cry or felt the blow. My former colleague, a teacher of physics, was yelling like mad, "Ustasha, ustasha. . . ." And kept hitting me. Wherever he could. I have become insensitive to pain. But my soul? It hurts. I taught toem to love and all the while they were making preparations to destroy everything that is not of the Orthodox faith. Jihad - war. This is the only way. . . .


The second is from War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning by Christopher Hedges, pp 50-52, abridged:
I sat one afternoon with a Bosnian Serb couple, Rosa and Drago Sorak, outside of the Muslim enclave of Gorazde where they had once lived. . . .

Five months after [their son] Zoran's disappearance, his wife gave birth to a girl. The mother was unable to nurse the child. The city was being shelled continuously. There were severe food shortages. Infants, like the infirm and the elderly, were dying in droves. The family gave the baby tea for five days, but she began to fade.

"She was dying," Rosa Sorak said. "It was breaking our hearts."

[Fadil] Fejzik [a Muslim neighbor of theirs], was keeping his cow in a field on the eastern edge of Gorazde, milking it at night to avoid being hit by Serbian snipers.

"On the fifth day, just before dawn, we heard someone at the door," said Rosa Sorak. "It was Fadil Fejzic in his black rubber boots. He handed up half a litre of milk. He came the next morning, and the morning after that, and after that. Other families on the street began to insult him. They told him to give his milk to Muslims, to let the Chetnik children die. He never said a word. He refused our money. He came for 442 days, until my daughter-in-law and granddaughter left Gorazde for Serbia."

Virtual Tin Cup

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More